May 22, 2018
Resources for Parents in Elementary School and Earlier
Elementary School (and Earlier)
Understanding your Young Child’s Stages of Development
Information on child development for parents of one to five year olds.http://www.cwla.org/
Story Blocks – Literacy Development
Collection of 30-60 second videos for parents, caregivers, and library staff designed to model songs, rhymes, and finger-plays appropriate for early childhood. Each video clip includes tips to increase caregivers’ understanding of child development and pre-literacy needs. http://www.storyblocks.org/
Reading Tip Sheets
Reading tip sheets, available in multiple languages, for parents of babies, toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, first graders, second graders, and third graders. http://www.colorincolorado.org/guides/readingtips/
Teaching kids to read and helping those who struggle. http://www.readingrockets.org/audience/parents/
NWEA Spring testing window opened Monday, May 14, 2018 and will close Friday, June 8, 2018
May 3, 2018
SAT Score Release
Students who participated on the initial test day(s) for SAT will receive access to their scores in their College Board account beginning on May 3, 2018, while scores for students who participated in PSAT 10 or PSAT 8/9 are currently available.
Student Access to Scores
1. Students will need a College Board account
to view their scores.
2. Direct students to go to this login page
viewscore) and log in.
3. Click sign up to register for an account if they
don’t already have one.
April 26, 2018
PSAT 8/9 and PSAT 10 Score Release
Students who participated on the initial test day(s) for PSAT 8/9 or PSAT 10 received access to their test scores on April 24, 2018.
March 29, 2018
MDE just awarded contracts to NWEA and DRC to provide benchmark assessments to schools next year
This follows what the state has been communicating about its assessment plan for the last few years.
Below is the excerpt from the recent spotlight
M-STEP testing window will open Monday, April 9, 2018 for grades 5, 8, & 11 and will end Friday, May 4, 2018
M-STEP testing window will open Monday, April 30, 2018 for grades 3, 4, 6, & 7 and will end Friday, May 25, 2018
Online Practice for M-STEP ELA, Math, Science and Social Studies
Superintendent Whiston Parent Letter on 2017-18 M-STEP and MME
Best wishes for a safe and wonderful spring break!!
January 26, 2018
NWEA Winter testing window will close on Friday, February 2nd
WIDA (World-class Instructional Design and Assessment)
English Learners only will take the State required language proficiency test, WIDA between February 5th and March 23rd.
Students who are identified as English learners will participate in the online assessment that tests their language proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
PSAT 8 will be administered to all 8th grade students on Tuesday, March 6, 2018
January 22, 2018
M-STEP updates and resources
- With the removal of the Performance Tasks, the Blueprints have been updated to reflect the new item counts. Illuminate’s item bank will have many items similar to what will be found on the M-STEP assessment.
- MDE has released sample Text-Dependent Analysis (TDA) items. You can find the resources here:
- It is HIGHLY recommended that students practice with the online training tests at least once before testing begins in April. The TDA items are also embedded in the online training tests. When students complete the first set of questions, they will be given a final item set which is an online version of the TDA. This allows them to practice with the online text editor. Here is the link:
MI/portals/mi/ (You must use the Chrome Browser)
December 21, 2017 by Nadia Makled
NWEA Winter testing window will open Monday, January 8, 2018 and close Friday, February 2, 2018
Hope everyone has a safe and restful break.
May your holiday season be filled with lots of happiness, peace, and love.
December 7, 2017 by Daniel Patterson, Ph.D.
Clarification of the upcoming M-STEP Assessment this spring. Here are the changes that will be occurring with Spring M-STEP testing.
- removal of all Performance Tasks
- assessing science in grades 5, 8, and 11 (moving from grades 4 and 7 to grades 5 and 8)
- requiring all eligible grade 5, 8, and 11 students participate in the statewide science field test (in place of an operational science test)
- removal of all Performance Tasks
- removal of Claim 2 Writing short constructed response items in ELA grades 3, 4, 6, and 7
- addition of one Claim 2 Writing text-dependent analysis (essay) in each grade of ELA
A few more details can be found in the 2017-18 Guide to State Assessments, but I will also follow up with more information when it becomes available.
November 15, 2017 by Nadia Makled
You will find many useful links to assessment practice and guidelines to support student learning outside of school.
Included are links to:
The above parent resources can assist to reinforce classroom learning and to increase student confidence.
We will continue to add resources for families throughout the year.
November 8, 2017 by Sue Juszczyk
November 1, 2017 by Val Ferrante
The WIDA ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 and the WIDA Alternate ACCESS for ELLs is scheduled to begin Monday, February 5, 2018 and will end March 23, 2018.
The test coordinator and all staff administering the WIDA must watch the webinars available at the WIDA website so they can be prepared to complete tasks that are required in the administration of the WIDA.
We will share additional information with you regarding this EL language assessment as it becomes available from MDE.